Tenure-Track/Tenured Faculty Openings
Department of Life Sciences, Nanjing University, China
I. About the School
The Nanjing University School of Life Sciences was originated from the agriculture science (founded in 1914) in Jinling University and the biology department (founded in 1920) of Nanjing Advanced Normal College (National Southeast University) founded in 1921 by Mr. Bingzhi. It was established in 1992. It is the first department of Biology in universities of China and one of the oldest life science research and teaching institutions in China. Over the past 100 years, adhering to the scientific spirit of seeking truth from facts, the academic style of being rigorous and realistic, and the tradition of diligent and enterprising research, the College has trained a great number of outstanding talents for the country. More than 60 academicians of Chinese Academy of Sciences and Chinese Academy of Engineering have studied and worked here.
The college has a high-quality teaching staff, including 55 professors (researchers) and 42 associate professors. 8 professors have been selected as distinguished professors of Cheung Kong Scholars Program, 11 professors were supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China for Distinguished Young Scholars, 7 professors were selected to be supported by the National Young Talents Program, 7 people were supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China for Excellent Young Scientists, 19 New Century-Talent scheme scholars and 2 distinguished professors of Jiangsu Province. The research teams have set up one innovative research group supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China, and two innovation teams in Cheung Kong Scholars and Innovation Team Development Program of the Ministry of Education.
The Nanjing University School of Life Sciences plans to recruit outstanding young talents from all over the world who are interested in the major research directions of life sciences to work in the School. There are five openings at the level of tenure-track associate professor or tenure-track assistant professor (No more than 2 tenure-track associate professors). The candidates are expected to teach and research in the following areas:
1.Biology (Neurobiology, Physiology, Structural Biology, Bioinformatics, Synthetic Biology, Cell Biology, Microbiology, Etc.);
2.Pharmacy (Pharmacology, Medicinal Chemistry, Etc.);
3.Ecology (Animal Ecology, Plant Ecology, Microbial Ecology, Ecosystem Ecology, Landscape Ecology, Restoration Ecology And Sustainable Ecology, Etc.).
The applicant should
(1) Compliance with law and regulations of the People's Republic of China, devoted to teaching and research;
(2) Good professional ethics and noble individual virtues, abide by the academic norms, work with due diligence, have no criminal record and have no record of violating teaching ethics and academic ethics;
(3) Ph.D. in life science, experience in studying and/or working at first-rate teaching and research institutions, who is familiar with international cutting-edge research trends in related fields. And postdoctoral experience at world leading institutions will be a plus. The applicant for Assistant Professor should have engaged in academic research for more than two years after receiving the doctoral degree. The applicant for Associate Professor should have engaged in academic research for more than four years after receiving the doctoral degree;
(4) Excellent teaching abilities, competent in the core basic courses and the frontier courses of the discipline, good pedagogy and strong presentation ability;
(5) Scientific research achievements visibility and future development potential: Great achievements in relevant research directions, original views on relevant research fields, clear ideas for future research plans, and good academic potential.
IV. Application Materials Required
(1) Curriculum Vitae in both Chinese and English (including a publication list);
(2) Research Statement;
(3) Research Plan;
(4) Three reference letters;
(5) Teaching plan.
Please login to the talent recruitment platform of Nanjing University (http://zp.nju.edu.cn/) to submit the application materials required.
V. Compensation Package and Support
(1) An annual salary (to be worked out individually);
(2) A start-up fund for research;
(3) Qualification to supervise graduate students;
(4) The university provides short-term lodging and housing subsidies. Applicants recruited can purchase commercial housing offered by the university at a special discount;
(5) The university provides assistance with children’s schooling at primary and secondary school levels.
VI. Application Deadline
Application deadline: June 28, 2023
The application period will be extended appropriately if the number of the applicants for single postition is relatively small.
Expected date of announcement of application results: The end of September, 2023.
VII. Contact Details
Tel.: +86-25-83592362 (Ms. Liu)